Topic 1: Nursing Philosophy and Models
Select one of the nursing theorists “Florence Nightingale: Modern Nursing” and respond to the following:
• Describe the historical background of the development of the model or framework.
• Identify the concepts in the model.
• Describe the relationship between the model and concepts in nursing’s metaparadigm…metaparadigm concepts (person, health, nursing, and environment)
• Create an example of the model applied to clinical practice.
• Identify strengths and weaknesses of the model for clinical practice.
Title: Nursing Theorists and Their Work 8th ed.
Author: Alligood, M. R.
Publisher: Mosby Elsevier
You need to have the book!
Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2012). Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Chapter 17, “Inferential Statistics”
This chapter focuses on inferential statistics, which are based on the laws of probability. It introduces sampling distributions, estimates of parameters, and levels of significance. In addition, the chapter provides an overview of some of the most commonly used inferential statistical tests, including t-tests, analysis of variance (ANOVA), and chi-square tests. Finally, the process of testing correlations is examined.
Develop a 1-page study sheet that includes the following:
The key concepts of the chapter: Focus on the basic concepts that are important for nurses to understand as they review research studies.
A description of the statistical methods covered in the chapter, what they measure, and under what circumstances they are used. Identify examples of how the statistical methods have been used in research studies.
An explanation of the key statistical tests and how they measure significance (if applicable).