Instruction: My choice of Middle-Range Theory for this paper that is appropriate to my Psychiatric nursing practice is Hildegard Peplau?s Interpersonal relations. This theorist has contributed greatly into the psychiatric field and is my choice for this project. I have previously written about her and attached for you which you can use it and should help you with this paper. I also gave you three articles that will help you with this paper. You can add more recent articles with in the last 5 years and appropriately cite them with in the paper. Please follow the instructions bellow and write the paper according to the way it has been broken down to.
Barker, P. 1998. The future of the theory of Interpersonal Relations? A personal reflection on Peplau?s legacy. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 5, 213-220.
Callaway, B.J. 2000. Hildegard Peplau: Psychiatric Nurse of the Century. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
Peplau, H.E. 2004. Interpersonal Relations in Nursing: A Conceptual Frame of Reference for Psychodynamic Nursing. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company
Assignment 2: Nursing Theory Analysis Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to describe, evaluate and discuss application of a nursing grand or mid-range theory. This assignment also provides the learner an opportunity to connect theory and research to nursing phenomena. Learners will develop an 8 page paper (excluding the title page and references) using APA style to address the elements listed below.
Theory/Author Name and Background
1. Select a Grand or Mid-Range Theory that is appropriate to your practice setting.
2. Describe the theorist’s background in detail and discuss how their experiences have impacted the theory development.
3. Examine crucial references for the original and/or current work of the theorist and other authors writing about the selected theory.
4. Identify the phenomenon of concern or problems addressed by the theory.
1. Explain whether the theory uses deductive, inductive or retroductive reasoning. Provide evidence to support your conclusion.
2. Describe the major concepts of the theory. ? How are they defined? (theoretically and/or operationally) Is the author consistent in the use of the concepts and other terms in the theory?
3. Interpret how the concepts are defined. ? Implicitly or explicitly?
4. Examine the relationships (propositions) among the major concepts.
1. Identify explicit and implicit assumptions (values/beliefs) underlying the theory. On what assumptions does the theory build?
2. Examine if the theory has a description of the four concepts of the nursing metaparadigm. If so, how are they explained in the theory? If the metaparadigm is not explained, what elements do you see as relevant to the theory and why?
3. Discuss the clarity of the theory. ? Did it have lucidness and consistency?
1. Examine how the theory would guide nursing actions.
2. Describe specifically how you can use this theory in your area of nursing (Practice, Education, Informatics or Administration).