Assignment 2: LASA
In examining the history of gerontological nursing, one must marvel at the advocacy and perseverance of nurses who have remained deeply committed to the care of older adults despite struggling against insurmountable odds over the years.
Bernita Steffl asserts “There is always an interesting person there, sometimes locked in the cage of age. I think I have helped at least a few of my students with this approach, ‘You see me as I am now, but I see myself as I’ve always been and all the things I’ve been—not just an old lady” (as cited in Ebersole & Touhy, 2006, p. 52).
Ebersole, P., & Touhy, T. (2006). Geriatric nursing: Growth of a specialty. New York: Springer.
Select a topic specifically related to gerontological nursing. This must not be the same topic you used in previous papers.
Prior approval of the topic must be obtained from the instructor. Examples of possible topics include:
- Advanced Directives
- Issues related to death and dying
- Elder abuse
- Polypharmacy in elderly
- Sexuality of elderly
- Nutrition and hydration of older adults
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Respite Care
- Risk reduction for elderly
- Coping with prostate problems
- Cognitive testing of the gerontologic patient
Create an 8- to 10-page paper addressing the following:
- Describe the significance of the topic, i.e., why is the topic important to you as a nursing student. Why did you choose the topic?
- State pertinent statistics, re: the topic, i.e., prevalence of disease, percentage of gerontological clients with the disorder, etc.
- Choose a gerontologic disease or disorder as a topic, include all information including medical/nursing diagnosis, etiology, signs and symptoms, laboratory data, treatments, and prognosis.OrIf a topic other than a disease is chosen (i.e., housing for the elderly, etc.), provide a complete and concise information review of the topic.
- State the relevance of the subject to the nursing profession and specify the nursing implications.
- Include the use of the nursing process and Roy’s adaptation model in the discussion of the nursing implications related to the topic.
- Discuss relevant nursing interventions and the associated short and long-term goals individually.
Make sure you write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Use at least 8 resources from professional literature to support your discussion. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library, relevant textbooks, peer reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).