Cultural/Spirituality Presentation and Care Plan Guidelines
“The need for cultural competence is being increasingly recognized by health-care providers and health-related organizations in the United States and globally. The social ideology of a melting pot is passe’ and has been replaced by recognizing that people deserve respect within their cultural framework and as individuals” (Purnell, 2014, p. 1). Health care providers are caring for an increasingly diverse U.S. population in addition to patients and families who reside in countries other than the US, but who seek health care services within the United States health care system. There is compelling evidence in the literature that supports disparities in health care across ethnic, social, and economic groups; therefore, it is important that health care providers be attentive to cultural diversity and cultural competency (Purnell, 2014).
THE SELECTED CULTURE IS: CHINESE CULTURE. Please answer all the questions below in related to Chinese culture.
THIS IS POWER POINT PRESENTATION AND A CARE PLAN. NOT A PAPER.
The first slide of the powerpoint should be the Topic: Cultural/Spirituality presentation of Chinese cultures
Second slide should be STUDENTS’s NAME: Aderonke Adeduro and Andrea Wilson.
Indiana State University.
Please do NOT cluster a powerpoint slide with too much information.
The purpose of this assignment is to:
1. Describe the biological characteristics, social organization, environmental control, and language of a specific cultural group of people.
2. Discuss health care beliefs (including complementary and alternative medicine) of a specific ethnocultural, religious, or social group.
3. Discuss spirituality as it relates to a specific ethnocultural group.
4. Integrate knowledge of sociocultural variations into culturally sensitive nursing care.
5. Acknowledge the impact that personal and professional beliefs, values, ethics, and life experiences may have on nursing care of patients of different cultures.
6. Develop a PowerPoint presentation and a care plan that relates to a specific ethnocultural group.
NOTE: In order to complete this assignment, students will be utilizing the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence and its accompanying organizing framework.
a. Use the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence to answer the following questions and integrate this information into a PowerPoint presentation with audio.
b. Address nursing ethical issues that may possibly arise when caring for a patient who is a member of the specific (Chinese) ethnocultural group.
c. In addition, include AT LEAST one nursing implication that demonstrates use of evidence-based, culturally sensitive nursing care practices for each area (a-k) below:
1. Describe an overview and heritage of a Chinese ethnocultural group
2. Discuss the following as they relate to Chinese ethnocultural group:
Please be thorough with each point.
b. Family Roles and Organization
c. Workforce Issues
d. Biocultural Ecology
e. High-Risk Health Behaviors
g. Pregnancy and Childbearing Practices
h. Death Rituals
j. Health-Care Practices
k. Health-Care Practitioners
Please view the following link to learn more about the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence:
Please view the following link to learn how the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence was applied to cultural competency and Haitian immigrants. This information will help you as you create the PowerPoint presentation above.
Please use the care-plan template to answer assignment part 2.
Please upload the powerpoint and the care-plan separately when you are done with the assignments.
Assignment Part Two: Imagine you are a nurse caring for a patient whose cultural affiliation you describe above in the PowerPoint. Create a nursing care plan, utilizing the template included in this assignment, in order to apply the information you learned by investigating the particular culture and demonstrate evidence-based culturally sensitive nursing care practices within the care plan.
All that is necessary to complete this assignment is attached.
Purnell, L. D. (2014). Guide to culturally competent health care (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.