Develop a 1–2-page prospectus (a streamlined proposal) for a chosen organization.
- The organization must be real, not fictitious.
- You may choose an organization to which you have direct access for data gathering or one for which you will gather data via published sources. In either case, it must be an organization for which you can gather the data needed to complete the project.
- If need be, you may be allowed to use a disguised name for the organization in the project report, but you must disclose to the instructor the actual organization you are using as the setting for the project.
Note: You may choose nearly any company that you wish. If you choose a company that you work for, you must receive permission from a supervisor at your work place to use the company before submitting Assessment 1. In addition, you may not choose any one of the organizations listed below:
- Proctor and Gamble.
- Johnson and Johnson.
- Harley Davidson.
- Pepsi or Coke.
You will choose the type of project you will complete. Examples of project types that meet the project requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparation of a strategic plan for an organization.
- A strategic analysis of all or a selected part of an organization.
- Development of a case study of all or a selected part of an organization.
- Development of an intervention, such as a workshop or training activity, that is broad-based enough to demonstrate the program-level outcomes.
- Development of a consulting report on a problematic issue within an organization, provided that the issue is broad-based enough to demonstrate program-level outcomes.
Before beginning this assessment, complete the following:
- Choose an organization for your project. The audience of your project will be the key stakeholders within the organization pertaining to the project’s focus. If you have not yet chosen an organization for your project, review Choosing an Organization in the Context for the requirements for the chosen organization.
- Choose a project type. Examples of project types are listed in the Context.
- Review the Capstone Project Outline in the Course Summary. Keep the program outcomes in mind as you select an organization and project type.
For this assessment, develop a prospectus (a streamlined proposal) for your chosen organization. The prospectus is a brief, one-page overview of what your project will be. You will receive feedback on your prospectus that will reflect on the appropriateness of your project in demonstrating your program outcomes and the feasibility of the project. Complete the following in your prospectus:
- Identify your chosen organization.
- Describe your project’s objectives and scope.
- Describe how you will demonstrate all MBA program outcomes in your project.
The table provided below is a sample prospectus. A template for this table is linked in the Resources. You may use the template provided and, for your assessment, merely replace the text in the Description column with your own text. Or, if you prefer, you may prepare a document in an alternative format that addresses all of the entries shown in the table.
- Sloboda, B. (2003). Creating effective PowerPoint presentations. Management Quarterly, 44(1), 20–34.
|Target Organization||R. D. Tech, Inc.|
|Brief Project Description||I will research various aspects of R. D. Tech to determine how we can become more cost effective in our processes.|
|Access and Data Availability||I am employed by R. D. Tech and have permission to gather the required data. In the actual case document, the company name will be disguised.|
|Apply foundational knowledge and an understanding of business systems, processes, and technology within and across core disciplines.||The case study will cover all organizational components and functions, including marketing, operations, finance, and administration. It will examine the company’s upstream and downstream supply chain and the information and materials flows involved.|
|Integrate information across disciplines and from differing perspectives.||The case will examine the interrelationships among the different organizational functions in light of the challenges the company is facing. It will present the perspectives of major points of view, including the marketing, finance, and operations teams, as well as senior management.|
|Lead and collaborate in virtual, global, and culturally diverse environments.||The case will assess issues involved in the company’s investigation of overseas market prospects, including the establishment of overseas branches.|
|Integrate principles of ethics and integrity into business decisions.||The company is considering a change to its full employment policy, as dairies in its local two-state area consolidate and it considers expansion abroad. The ethical issues of changing the implied contract with employees will be examined as part of the case.|
|Estimate expected length.||My paper will be approximately 30 pages, double-spaced, not including cover page, contents, and references. It will include at least 10 references. My PowerPoint presentation will include 10–20 slides.|
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Use APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Number of resources: None required at this stage.
- Length of paper: 1–2 typed, double-spaced pages (not including cover page or references).
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.