Answer the one question from each section below. Post an original thread in this forum. Put your name in the subject line (e.g. “Bill Smith”) – 500 words or less. Additional research on your part is required for this forum.
Post at least one reply to a colleague’s post – 200 words or less.
- As the project manager leading an IT project – what are the essential items and information that must be covered during the project kickoff meeting.
- After reviewing the course materials on the Tuckman Model. As the project manager, what are the deliberation actions you must take to manage and move the team forward during each stage of the group dynamics model? Be specific.
- Describe several ways to assess project performance – you may include EVM-EVA but also list at least two other approaches. Discuss when you would use one over the other and any benefits or detriments of each. Cite at least one reference in APA style (both in-text and reference citations) in addition to any of the resources listed in your required or optional reading/viewings for the week.
- We have introduced concepts in the earned value management system that allow us to forecast what it will cost to complete our project (Estimate To Complete or ETC) and hence the total actual project cost (Estimate At Completion or EAC). In your own words explain what ETC and EAC are and how the project team could this information to monitor performance and use to guide the project to success.
- Calculating variances, indexes, and forecasts would seem to make the decisions easy but we know that the numbers don’t manage the project. We accept that we have to make projections about how the project is going, how we expect it to finish, and what we will do to make it meet the requirements. How could you make use of the metrics/indices/performance indicators we have in order to make these critical projections? How could this information be used to indicate performance to upper management or other stakeholders? Should you show this type of information to the customer – why or why not?
- Discuss how EVM is related to key performance indicators (KPIs) in project management. We have not discussed KPIs in great deal in this course so far, but they are well known in the project management field. You will need to do some self-guided research for this question. Cite at least one reference in APA style (both in-text and reference citations).
- Research “tools” (can include templates, software, etc.) or methodologies that are available for monitoring and controlling costs in an industry you have not worked in. Then discuss how they could be used in your current industry. Cite at least one reference in APA style (in-text and reference citations).