Discussion Board Criteria Part 1: 500 word limits
- Choose one chronic disease or health determinant as provided below:
- Oral disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Discuss the prevalence of this disease/determinant for the Australian population and compare Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations.
- Include epidemiological findings (health statistics).
- Briefly outline the burden of this disease/determinant (DALY/YLL) for the Australian population
- Briefly outline any health policy which has been developed in association with this disease/determinant
Preparation: Timely completion of study materials (primarily Topic 1, 2, 3 & 4): information pertaining to the above discussion criteria can be found in the learning materials, AIHW web site and set text (both Fleming & Parker Introduction to Public Health and AIHW Australia’s Health 2014); students are encouraged to research using library resources and review other websites, journal articles.
Presentation: Reference list at end of document using APA style, at least 4 references should be used including 1 research article (reference does not contribute to word count). Maximum 500 words. No point form or tables. Please note: This is not medical surgical nursing and the pathophysiology of the disease is not to be included
Why is this relevant?
As you progress through your career as a Registered Nurse you need to understand how health data in relation to chronic disease and determinants drives health policy development and indicates where health resources, education and promotion are needed. There are significant Australian Health Agencies such as the AIHW which research, collate and present this data for use. As nurses you should understand how health statistics and data are represented and how useful they can be in reviewing the impacts of disease and health determinants on the Australian population.