26 QUESTIONS IN 90MIN
Module 3 will focus on Chapters 7, 8 and 9 of our Invisible Woman textbook. In
this section, the author discusses Gender Based Abuse (GBA- violence
against women) as one of the leading causes of death of women in the
world. We will then look at sexual abuse, intimate partner abuse and
stalking; historical aspects and how each are handled through the
criminal justice system.
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Examine the ways in which the definition of rape and domestic violence laws have changed over the last 100 years.
- Compare and contrast patterns of victimization and offending, and the cultural factors associated with those patterns.
- Argue both short-term and long-term strategies that could be used to reduce violence against women.
- Compare the relationship between female victimization and gender-power disparity.
- Critique the notion of victim blaming.
Belknap, J. (2015). The Invisible Woman: Gender, Crime and Justice, 4th edition. Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning.
- Chapter 7: “Gender-Based Abuse (GBA): A Prevalent and Global Phenomenon
- Chapter 8: “Focusing on Sexual Abuse”
- Chapter 9: “Intimate Partner Abuse and Stalking”