Objectives of the Essay:
The student will demonstrate their ability to:
- Research a selected topic using a variety of reliable resources.
- Prepare a professionally written report in APA format, from a nursing perspective on the selected topic.
The students will be able to describe the family they will study by week #3. Students create a family scenario upon which to focus the nutritional topic.
- Look up your selected nutrition promotion family topic. Be sure you understand what you are researching.
- Read the relevant chapter in your text, Potter & Perry. Look in all of your required text resources.
- Research your topic using at least one professional nursing journal.
- Research your topic using other reputable texts, journals and online resources. Unless they are from a classic source (ex. F. Nightingale “Notes on Nursing”), all articles/texts must be less than 5 years old. The paper must have at least 3 references.
- Make notes from your research. Organize what you have learned under main headings. Review your research to answer the following questions: What does the Nurse need to assess about this family and what will she need to include in a teaching plan?
- Prepare a 1 page MAX outline of your paper as your starting point for the scholarly writing process.Your final paper should be a three page paper (can be longer), (not including cover page), double spaced, Times New Roman 12pt. font on the selected topic. A short paper means you must include the most important content in a concise manner. Apply APA format. References must be included in the body of the paper and listed at the end on a reference page. APA is a large part of the intended learning for this paper so please pay attention to the details of APA.
- Compare your final paper with the marking scheme in the rubric below. Make the necessary changes.
- Keep a copy of your work and final submission. Submit a title page, the essay, and reference page through Dropbox.
Penalty for lateness and Plagiarism, please see Durham College policy.
Some Recommended Nutrition Topics
Students may write their nutrition paper passed on one of the following topics or any on the topic approved by the professor
- Obesity in Adults
- Celiac disease
- Breastfeeding mothers
- Toddlers who are poor eaters
- Athletes and nutrition
- Nutrition during pregnancy
- Nutrition Concerns for Geriatrics
- Cost saving and nutrition
- Obesity in Children
|Create a Title Page in APA Format|
|1. The Introduction. This section will be one paragraph.|
Define/Describe your topic: (you will need a reference here)
Introduce your paper:
|2. Discussion about Health Promotion.|
|Describe how the concept of nutrition promotion relates to your family. (Use statistics Canada or RNAO BPG’s for references)
|3. Discussion about Patient Assessment.|
|Describe how the Nurse would assess the family.
What would you look for? What would you need to ask them about? How would you gather this information? Include your questions and probable answers.
|4. Discussion about Patient Teaching.|
|Describe the teaching required by the nurse in order to promote and/or maintain healthy nutrition.
a. What would the patient need to know?
b. How would you teach this?
|5. Conclusion. This section will be 1 paragraph.|
|Wrap up your paper by referring back to the intro and restate 1 main idea from each section 2, 3 & 4. No new information.|
| Reference List (APA format) This is an important part of this paper please pay attention to the details of APA.